Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You've Got a Friend In Me

A friend recently reminded me how vital a certain somebody has been in my baby girl's life. I dedicate this post to this very special guy.

 He is Louis-Bear, our 11 lb Yorkie. I love him. Just look at that face!


He was our baby for a while. Our version of an offspring. Looking back now it was pretty funny/ borderline sick.

Right before the baby was born things for this adorable being, changed. We justifiably began focusing on "nesting" and I was a gargantuan hot mess that walking him was too big a task. Imagine a walrus bending over to do anything now imagine it bending over to collect doggy droppings- horrific and unsettling, I know. Don't worry, my hubby made sure he got walked. No need to call Cesar Millan or the ASPCA.

Needless to say, after the baby arrived he was demoted, immediately, to child number 0. I truly thought he would hate her or even try to hurt her. I had my doubts that he would ever understand he wasn't the "baby" anymore.

Lucky for all of us they've grown to love each other. Apparently he is hilarious. Way more than we ever thought. Not only that but I've recently discovered he is kind and extremely patient. Even when she thinks pulling his nub of a tail is the most gratifying pass time. Or yanking his ears, tugging his beard, pinching him, plucking fistfuls of fur off, taking his toys, stealing his food bowl/dumping his water out. You name it she's done it, he's tolerated it.

 Another phenomenon I've witnessed is he can tell when she's truly crying or when she's just throwing a fit. When it's a fit he'll bark at her and it literally snaps her right out of the tantrum and into angelic-being mode. I love this feature. When she is truly crying, however, we get barked at which frustrates us all, she cries more, he barks more... This is a vicious cycle I wish I could shut off.


She notices him for the first time ~3 months old
Nap time buddies

It's been one rough year for this pooch. Nights of crying {me} and days of minimal attention. Still he remains loyal. He is my faithful buddy who's always there to lend an ear or belly for therapeutic rubbing.

Side note: I don't get people who don't appreciate dogs. Or who like cats. But mainly those who only see dogs as a thing. I see Louis as a part of my family. No, he isn't as important to me as my child, but I love him and wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him. Side note over.

It hasn't been smooth sailing for anyone this past year, but when I see how much she loves him and how much laughter and entertainment he adds to her life, he is my Under Dog who has earned his keep forever! 

This pup will always have a special place in my heart. I hope he lives long enough for baby girl to have vividly sweet memories of them playing together. He is a good boy... after all! 


I caught true friendship at work the other day. The day was almost over when we realized we had forgotten all about Louis' 6th birthday and quickly did our traditional you-have-to-wear-this-embarrassing-birthday-hat-and-pose-for-a-picture-before-your-"special"-treat routine {it was just his regular old boring treats}. I get a kick out of these pictures. I don't know why. I guess I'm just sick like that.

I never thought baby girl would oppose and save her friend the shame. 
I hope you all enjoy!


A true friends helps you when you're down or feeling ashamed...



 Yes, he's attacking the hat. Something I've never allowed. She did this twice in a row with no interest in the hat, just seemed annoyed with it on her friend's head.

Best Friends FOREVER!

Cue Randy Newman's "You've Got A Friend In Me"


1 comment: