Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ctrl+Alt+DELETE!

Having a toddler has been a transition, to say the least. There have been some really amazing moments and several moments infused with panic and what I call "creative curiosity."

I was tending to chores. A typical morning. We {baby and I} are in my room. I step 10 feet away for about 30 seconds to a minute. When I return to the spot my highly inquisitive daughter and I had agreed upon- POOF! She's gone. I am not surprised. I hear her in the living room where I had forgotten {but she had not] that I had left my laptop, wide open, within reach. Fair game.

She is frivolously banging the keys and stops only to gulp. When she places her index finger on the tell-tale gap where my split F9 button once rested, my heart sinks, my blood turns into ice and I react in slow motion.

 Back story time!

Once upon a time I have er... had a very old MacBook {laptop} where my F9 button fell off. I always use this button to cause a really cool trick- it minimizes all of my open windows allowing me to see every window at once. It's a great button. I loved my F9.

My techie hubby grabbed some E9000 glue I have for crafts and "fixed" the issue, but not before he and his Shrek like nubs did this to it.  Moment of silence please...

Yep. He broke it in half.

So, it's safe to say that my makeshift-split-in-half-beloved F9 button was barely hanging on by a thread on the day this all went down.  I remember how it would make a lazy "clomp" sound every time I would push it. This love affair lasted about a year.

Back to the toddler.

Seing this, I run to her, pry the other half of the button from her itty-bitty hands, inhale and check her mouth. When I say "check" I mean grab her face and stick my finger in her adorable teethy/gummy version of a Hoover. I know this isn't the way to "check", but I panicked and resorted to my hysterical Hispanic-panic ways.

I find nada.

She gulps one more time and proceeds to flap one hand, like she's waving away a new flavor she doesn't really care for. Still, I give her the benefit of the doubt and search high and low for the other half of the now atrocious, idiotic and shoulda-thrown-it-away-a-long-time-ago-stupid button.

After I spent the better half of my day on all fours, I finally slip into a cold state of reality and easily admit to myself that I will never find the other half because she has eaten it. I knew it was making it's way through my baby girl's innards and was soon to be the most coveted "prize" in the "cracker jack box." Oh yeah, ladies. I searched every diaper til I found it.

One sleepless night later, {poor thing was so uncomfortable} Mr. Button was home once more.

In case you don't understand programming {or the language of computers} my title: "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" would be translated, in computer terms, "let's start over".

Oh, how I wanted to start the day all over again. No, not because I would still have my F9 button, well that's part of it.. A very small part. But, because I know that it was by the grace of God almighty that she didn't choke or get severely hurt. Can I get an "amen!" ?

From this I've learned one thing... two things actually a) don't trust your toddler to obey or adhere to a verbal contract even though there is plenty of repetition and head nodding involved and b) take your broken lap top to the Apple store for repair or burry it.

I guess it is possible to glue the two halves back onto my laptop but, since recovering the missing piece, I've been unable to completely clean the remnants of... "Cracker Jacks" from it's crevasses. Also, this way I will never forget the undesirable, yet priceless lessons this entire experience has taught me. I guess I'm a nostalgia-holic.
All's well that ends well. I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment