Friday, June 17, 2011

To Give or to Take?

Today I was running errands at our fast food flooded shopping center. When I overheard something that made me reflect.

"Well, we'll go next time because your sister will be mad and mommy can't deal with that right now."

I didn't understand the situation at first but the rest of the story was well overheard by us all. Her son, about 7, began to plead his case. It was heartbreaking to hear him trying to convince his mom that he deserved the trip to Jamba Juice because she promised if he had a great week at school she would take him. Apparently he "exceeded great" {his words.}

His case seemed solid and fair, but the over exerted mother just couldn't make herself follow through. Especially, with the ornery younger sister throwing a full blast fit.

"Why does he get to go to Jamba Juice and I can't go to Starbucks!?"

 I'm pretty sure the fit had began way before I overheard it.

My heart broke for him and as I turned the corner I saw his face go from pleading to disappointed to angry.

I know I shouldn't judge on the reasoning behind this mother's choice to back out on a deal, especially since I wasn't getting the full story. But, I can't help but wonder if she made the right choice.

Will he grow to not care what she thinks of him and end up resenting her and his younger sister?

I can be reading too much into this but the whole ordeal made me aware of how sometimes parent's opt to leave one child hanging due to the other child's inability to accept that life just isn't all about them or that sometimes life doesn't bring them the same gifts their siblings receive. Or, rather, the parent's inability to give honor to whom honor is due. Even if it isn't convenient for another sibling.

Maybe she thought she was being fair. But, as an outsider looking in it seemed she was only thinking about 2 people- herself and her daughter. Her intentions may have been sincere but she was clearly not too concerned about her son's feelings or efforts to please her. She was also not looking at the long run on how she is setting her daughter up for a lot of heartache and disappointment.

Maybe she had been spoiled rotten as a child? Just speculating.

As a parent I could understand how she just doesn't have the energy to endure the screaming and tears that indubitably lay before her. But, there was one person her lack of strength seemed to outweigh- her deserving "exceedingly great" son.

I'm not experienced when it comes to more than one child. I guess I just observed a small injustice being made. Or at least that's the way I see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment