Saturday, May 7, 2011

If I should Have a Daughter...

There have been many a-days I have thought upon how I would want to tell my daughter everything there is to know. I want to equip her with answers, tools, weapons, if you will, on how to survive out in the "real world." Thank God for Him and His word because that is the first place I run to when in need of answers.

There's so much I want her to know and I feel that I am running out of time to prepare for the day I sit her down and teach her everything, but deep within me I know that I have her whole life to do this. It will most likely not happen in one sitting over tea and scones like I've hoped. I'm sure it will be a daily conversation, an endless and sometimes wordless one. I know she'll watch me the way I watched my momma. The way every girl watches her momma.

This will be my first official Mother's Day and I feel blessed beyond beyond to have such a wonderful child. As a mother I worry about things like: am I feeding her too much or too little, am I confusing her when I speak to her in Spanish, does she know who I even am, does she like me or know that I will always love her?! Lately I've been wondering instead of worrying about what kind of person she will grow up to be and how well all of my mommy-antics actually worked. "I will know when she's thirty" I always tell myself. When she's a mother or when she's faced with "real" issues and have to make hard decisions that can permanently edify or destroy her. That's when I'll know for sure if all I have given her or kept from her was right.


I have stumbled upon a poet, Sarah Kay, her words have touched me. She isn't a mother yet but her poem speaks about what she would tell her daughter if she had one. This is something every woman should hear.

I hope you enjoy this video and I wish you all a happy and blessed Mother's Day!
Sarah Kay: If I Should Have a Daughter



1 comment: