Friday, April 29, 2011

I Kissed Reading Goodbye

That's right. I no longer "read" books, I listen to them. This year I have given up in trying to sit and read (it just isn't safe for anyone) and have taken up listening to books via Audible.com. What an amazing concept, especially when the narrator is really good with accents and voices-delightful!


What I do is choose a book, download it to my phone (ipod and or laptop) put headphones on or let it play aloud and never miss a beat while cleaning house, playing with baby girl, going for a walk, cooking... you get the picture. Audible may not be for everyone but 'tis for this mommy. Oh, yes 'tis indeed!

My latest purchase I am absolutely in love with is written by Katherine Stockett. In her debut novel entitled 'The Help' I found myself crying, laughing out loud (most commonly known as LOL'ing) and even found myself a little terrified for the women in this amazingly told story.  This is not a depressing book at all!  Here is Amazon's editorial review:


 From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel (and maiden publication of Amy Einhorn's new imprint) set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs her. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women by enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it.
And amen! The Audible version has three different women narrating. This is great because the story is written through the eyes of three different women. I'm going to listen to it again and again, til it's played out and it makes me sick! 
I can't accurately describe how great this book and Audible are. It's like watching a movie in your head or like dreaming, but you're awake and simultaneously washing bottles and making sure your baby doesn't eat all the lint off the floor you just vacuumed (darn her Eagle -like vision/Thank you Lord for her clean bill of health). 
Now, I'm no Oprah and this ain't no book club (a double negative means I'm serious) but I just thought I'd share this great story with you. I hope you venture out and, through whatever means, get this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment