Thursday, April 7, 2011

Se Habla Espanol

I am bilingual. Speaking both English and Spanish. Growing up I was a bit afraid of letting my teachers know this because I didn't want to end up in an ESL class. So, I always played dumb when a Spanish speaking kid would speak to me in Spanish. The front was short lived when I finally felt sympathy for a girl and helped her out by translating. For that simple act of kindness I sat for a year in an unnecessary and beyond BORING class.

My point is that all though it wasn't easy for me to grow up speaking two languages I am very grateful for it now and plan on bringing my baby girl up bilingual.

My plan: speaking to her in Spanish often. Playing, singing the works. Another way that I know will help her is by reading to her. She already has a love for books. So, I researched bilingual books and found some on Amazon.com. I literally got them within 24 hours.

   
My favorite book so far is Tortillas Para Mama. It has most of the nursery rhymes I grew up with so, it goes without saying there is a deep element  of nostalgia. Not only that but daddy could understand what I am saying to her and could read/learn Spanish with her.

Future purchases are indeed in order. I'm not sure if you noticed the "Mama" theme with the exception of The Ugly Duckling story to throw off the scent. I plan on getting her Daddy themed books as well as emotion deciphering books, colors, shapes and mainly socializing books.

I love reading Dr. Seuss books and she really enjoys them too. Her favorite is Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? this book is full of silly sounds and I get my best silly face on with her. No wonder she loves it!





2 comments:

  1. I also have Spanish books in my classroom library. Since there are several Dr. Seuss books are printed in Spanish, I have a few of my students read the Spanish version first followed by the English version. I have a few students that attempt to not speak Spanish, but I wont let thhem. I tell them that they need to be proud to be bilingual and they better not ever STOP speaking their second language. Lol they always roll their eyes when I get in one of my "embrace your bilingual side" rants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before.. I wish my teachers were as AWESOME as you growing up!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete