Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Powder Puff Girl

Click picture to print and color


If you're wondering who the Powder Puff Girls are they are a cartoon based on a group of three kindergarten-aged girls that fight crime with their super powers. Yes, I said Kindergarten.

Well, I'm not sure how it happened {since I don't consider myself to be mellow when it comes to needles} but God blessed me with a very brave girl.

I've been putting it off for two weeks now and today I finally got up the courage to take her to get a precautionary blood screen test. The reason behind my hesitation is self explanatory. Although she has yet to cry when getting shots or the like, I really felt this time could be different. Just because she's older and more aware and because I knew they were going to need two viles full of her precious blood. Two.

I had butterflies in my stomach the whole drive there and when we arrived it took some deep breathing before I could turn the knob and walk in. I managed after a few "one more" deep breaths. I hid my nerves by playing with her as I spoke to the technician. I sat down in a chair that looked like it was made for felons on death row. She sat on my lap as two male technicians stood infront of us while putting on their purple latex gloves. One technician felt the need to slap his wrists more than twice and I had to ask him to stop and maybe not tower over us like we were lab rats. Of course I said it in a humorous tone, we all laughed but I was terrified and very close to losing "my cool".

                               A picture I stole of her boo boo while she had some snackies

It was tricky to find a vain but once he found it it was a breeze. Not a tear, not a single cry. We were all very shocked. I knew she was brave but I guess I underestimated how much. She flinched and cooed but that was as far as the tear infused tantrum I expected went.

I felt so relieved and proud. The technicians told me they have never seen that in a baby her age. Ever. I of course walked out of there slightly taller than when I walked in. Not to mention emotionally drained.

To celebrate we went hunting for rocks a past time she absolutely LOVES.

No comments:

Post a Comment